You are here: Home / Sectors / Standards Database / SIA Licensing

SIA Licensing

A large number of people operating in the sector are subject to the Private Security Industry Act. The industry’s regulators, the Security Industry Authority (SIA) is responsible for licensing people working in specified roles within the industry. The SIA requires nationally certificated training for some roles, along with checks on identity and criminal records prior to employment. Licensing currently applies to the individual, not the employer.

Licenses are required for the provision of manned guarding, which includes:

  • Cash and Valuables in Transit (contract services only)
  • Close Protection (contract services only)
  • Door Supervision (in house and contract services)
  • Public Space Surveillance (CCTV)
  • Security Guard (contract services only)

There are two types of SIA licence:

  • front line licence is required if undertaking licensable activity, other than key holding activities (this also covers undertaking non-front line activity). A front line licence is in the form of a credit card-sized plastic card that must be worn, subject to the licence conditions.
  • non-front line licence is required for those who manage, supervise and/or employ individuals who engage in licensable activity, as long as front line activity is not carried out - this includes directors or partners. A non-front line licence is issued in the form of a letter that also covers key holding activities.
Filed under: ,